Friday, February 10, 2006

Integrity

Garth Turner (Conservative MP for Halton, Ontario) is awesome. Read his blog - especially entries for the last week.
Did I know the potential consequences of speaking my mind, or sticking with the principles that brought me to this cold hill? Yeah, I did. I have been an MP before, and a leadership candidate and a cabinet minister. I have the hide to prove it. I know the PMO has a song sheet it wants all caucus members to sing from, and I know what happens when an individual chooses to go his or her own way. I was just hoping this time I would not be asked to choose – between party and principle.

I chose principle. My deepest loyalty is to what I believe, what I told the voters and what I want Parliament to become. The Emerson affair may indeed blow over. The minister may decide not to take the heat. David may turn into a cabinet star and a national asset. But he should still have the conviction to get elected a member of the team he chose. The same team that I chose, and fought like a warrior to join, helped by hundreds more and supported by tens of thousands of others. How could any member of caucus not privately feel the same?

A few nights ago, I made some pledges here. I pledged to remember that my job is not to serve the party or the prime minister, but rather the people who sent me here. I pledged to work to enhance the position of MP, because when that happens, the voters win. I pledged to share my MP’s power with you every way I could, and to speak up for middle class Canadians.

That voice may be a little fainter now, coming from that forgotten basement washroom office, but, dammit, it won’t quit.

1 Comments:

At 11:41 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Garth is a strange one to be doing any cheerleading for the Conservative 'team'. He is hardly the ideal team player himself, indeed if he continues on his present course I think he'll get punted out of caucus before Christmas. Good riddance to him if it happens, he is looking more and more like our own version of carolyn parrish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free html hit counter